Litigation finance comes of age
This article was originally posted on CityAM and the views expressed are those of the author (not affiliated with AxiaFunder).
Emily Perryman reports for CityAM on how the UK’s first litigation crowdfunding platform, AxiaFunder is enabling private investors to invest in litigation finance, an area previously only open to hedge funds and other large institutions.
- Axia’s record in raising funds for its first three cases
- The potential risks and rewards of investing in litigation
- AxiaFunder’s selective approach in choosing which cases to offer on its platform.
So if the case loses at trial the investors will not recover any of their initial investment. However there are many measures in place to reduce the risk to investors. AxiaFunder takes a very strict approach to assessing potential claims and only targets cases with at least 60% probability of winning if the case were to go to trial. Furthermore over 80% of cases settle before trial (source: Solomonic Litigation Analytics) and in the case of settlement AxiaFunder investors normally get paid in full. In addition to the claim having strong legal merit, the estimated damages of claims approved by AxiaFunder are typically over five times the costs of taking the case to trial with an expected time to resolution of less than three years. AxiaFunder also insists on having ATE after-the-event insurance providing protection against the claimant having to pay the opponent’s legal costs if the case is lost.
To read the full article, visit https://www.cityam.com/litigation-finance-comes-of-age.
Originally published in CITYA.M. written by Emily Perryman, on 24 October 2019.
- The Investor Appropriateness Test
- Risks for investors in litigation funding
- AxiaFunder HDR Investment Volumes and Returns
- AxiaFunder FCA Direct Authorisation
- AxiaFunder won Innovative Lender of the Year Award
- Access to litigation investments
- The Peer2Peer Finance News Power 50 2022
- AxiaFunder Review by P2P Platforms
- AxiaFunder Review by 4thWay
- AxiaFunder interview with CEO Cormac Leech
- AxiaFunder Targets Double-Digit IRRs
- AxiaFunder Review in iTech Post
- AxiaFunder launched new litigation finance product
- Back the suits who are bankrolling disputes
- Catalysing class actions using litigation funding
- Introduction to litigation funding
- Litigation funding and access to justice
- Financial Thing: Q&A with AxiaFunder
- Innovations in Litigation Funding Digital Event
- Flexible litigation funding